Parents can sign up now for the new series of Parent Academy workshops for 2013 designed to help families be more engaged and support student success.
Families may choose from 15 workshops that begin Jan. 15 that cover a wide range of topics.
The first session on Common Core math helps parents better understand the guidelines and essential skills for students in the new math courses required this year. Common Core instruction helps students delve deeper into topics and focuses more on project-based learning.
The WCPSS Parent Academy will provide the session on Common Core math at three locations:
• Jan. 15 Millbrook Magnet High, 2201 Spring Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27615
• Jan. 16 Reedy Creek Middle, 930 Reedy Creek Road, Cary, NC 27513
• Jan. 17 Knightdale High, 100 Bryan Chalk Lane, Knightdale, NC 27545
The sessions run from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. and will be presented in English and Spanish. Childcare will be available for children 4-13 years old.
Future workshop topics will include:
• keeping children safe at school,
• life in the digital world,
• transitioning to the next grade level,
• planning for college,
• preparing for End-of-Grade testing,
• dealing with bullying and
• support for teen literacy.
All sessions will be offered at Millbrook Magnet High, Reedy Creek Middle and Knightdale High.
All events are free and open to the public. Registration is required. Classes begin in January and continue weekly through April. Find more information and register at http://www.wcpss.net/parent-academy